Resident Reimbursement Policies
Find the reimbursement polices and guidelines to help you plan for distributed training.
- PGME will process reimbursements up to the maximum amount (if applicable) to residents, provided that the course they are claiming is on this list and is required for their program per PGME Mandatory Course Policy. If your program has a mandatory course that is not included in this list, you are required to submit a request to PGME for pre-approval. Please complete the Mandatory Course Request form and submit it to Luyi Yang for any additional course approval requests by July 31, 2021.
- Policies regarding resident reimbursements can be found in the “Travel and Reimbursement” section.
- This PDF is a summary of reimbursable travel expenses
- PGME offers the use of the Resident Travel Allowance tool to simplify the process of requesting pre-approval from PGME for additional travel expenses. Residents will be able to check the maximum amount they can claim by picking a city in the “from” and “to” drop-down list using this Resident Travel Allowance Tool. Please note: should residents need to travel to and from locations that are not included in the drop-down list, and want to claim beyond the standard maximum, they will still have to follow the standard pre-approval process and make a request before making travel arrangement.
- PGME offers the use of a mileage grid to increase the efficiency of reimbursement processing. Google Map printouts are not required in reimbursement claims if the sites are included in the grid.
Submitting Reimbursements and FAQs
The Resident Reimbursement Site is where one can submit a reimbursement claim for expenses incurred as a result of mandatory rotations, academic half-days, community rotations, or course fees that are covered by PGME. Complete this reimbursement form to claim expenses.
Important Update: May 4, 2021
Effective May 1 2021, the payment method for resident reimbursements will transition to direct deposit. Accounts Payable (AP) will utilize residents’ banking details provided to Payroll to process reimbursements via direct deposit rather than by cheque. A resident’s first reimbursement claim made after May 1 will be distributed based on how that resident was set up within the AP system prior to May 1:
- Residents who are already enrolled in direct deposit will continue receiving reimbursements through direct deposit.
- Residents without direct deposit previously set up within the AP system will be enrolled the moment their first claim made after May 1 is put into the AP system. These residents will receive their first reimbursement after May 1 through cheque, and all subsequent claims through direct deposit.
What is the link to the Resident Reimbursement Site?
I can’t login to the Resident Reimbursement Site. What should I do?Learn more
- The username for this site is your CWL login ID.
- The password is the CWL Login password
- Some residents may have issues logging in the site in the initial attempt
- The issue can be resolved by resetting the CWL passwords and clearing browser cache
- Residents should also check if there is another CWL Login ID associated with their Student EAD Account
- Go to https://www.cwl.ubc.ca/myAccount
- Login using your CWL username and password
- Go to “View/Update Login Details” section
- Use the CWL login ID in bold that linked to Student EAD Account
- If you still have issue with logging in, please contact Luyi Yang at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please include your CWL login ID in your email
Are there manuals available to approvers and residents?See downloadable manuals available
Download the Resident’s guide for submitting reimbursements PDF
Download the Approver’s guide for submitting reimbursements PDF
Download the Resident request for resubmission task PDF
Download the Resident’s guide for filling out claim details PDF
How do we update the approvers for our program?
Please send the new approver’s information to Luyi Yang at email@example.com
Will I receive notification on pending claims for review?Learn more
- Primary Approver receives daily notification on pending claims. Items that are submitted for review will be included in the notification next day
- Secondary Approver receives weekly notification on pending claims
- Department Approver receives daily notification on pending claims
Can program administrators submit claims on behalf of residents?Learn more
- Program administrators can submit claims on behalf of residents. Please ensure you replace the name in the Resident box on the form to the resident’s name. Program Approver will still need to approve forms that are submitted on behalf of residents
Can I submit Resident Activity Fund(RAF) expenses through the Resident Reimbursement Site?Learn more
- No. Please follow the original procedure within the program and submit the RAF claims to UBC Financial Operations
Can I submit mandatory rotation expenses that are foreign funded (ie. Visa-trainee) through the Resident Reimbursement Site?Learn more
- No. Please submit a BCIRPA form for mandatory rotation expenses for foreign funded Visa trainees
How will I receive my reimbursed money?Learn more
The default payment method is cheque. Residents are strongly encouraged to enroll direct deposit (EFT) with Accounts Payable. Please note the direct deposit information with Payroll is not transferable to Accounts Payable. Residents must submit this form to firstname.lastname@example.org to enroll direct deposit with Accounts Payable.
Will I get notifications when forms are pending for action?Learn more
Residents must update their work emails in the site to receive notifications. Instruction on how to update work email is available in page 1 of the Resident’s Manual.
I am a BCY resident. Should I submit my reimbursement forms to the BCY Program or my home program?Learn more
All expenses incurred while in BCY Residency Program should be submitted to BCY Programs for approval. Please ensure the appropriate BCY site is selected in the “Program” box on the Resident Reimbursement Form.
I have multiple round trips to/from the same locations. Do I need to add multiple Expense Details sections on the form to claim all trips?Learn more
Residents are welcome to submit multiple round-trips by listing them in multiple Expense Details sections, or lump the mileages for all trips and enter the total mileage in one Expense Details section. Please note: it is important that the exact travel dates are provided in the comment section or in the attachment if you choose to enter the total mileage in one Expense Details section. Forms will be returned if the exact travel dates are missing.
How do I find out about the status of my reimbursement forms and where they are pending at?Learn more about each status
- The status of reimbursement forms are located at “My Request”.
- The status “Pending for Program Approval” means the forms are under review by your Program/Site Admins.
- The status “ Pending for Department Approval” means the forms are under review by the Department Office for approval. Example: for Family Practice, the Department Office is the Family Practice Postgrad office.
- The status “Pending for PGME Approval” means the forms are under review by the PGME office.
- The status “Approved” means the forms are approved by PGME and are ready for payment processing
- The status “Completed” means forms have been sent for payment processing. Payment will be sent within 2 weeks of the completion date.
- The status “Resubmit for Review” means the forms are returned to residents for further action.
- The status “Rejected” means forms are rejected by approvers.
Various reimbursement forms to help you recover expenses.
On-call parking reimbursement requests are submitted separately using this form. Residents working at hospitals within Vancouver Coastal Health should fill out this form and submit directly to VCH Payroll and Karen Chow. The form must be signed by the Program Administrator. All other residents should submit their on-call parking reimbursement requests through the hospital where they are working.
Fill out this form when your original receipts have been lost, misplaced or stolen and you need to submit an expense reimbursement request. Verifiable transactions only. Proof of payment must be submitted with this form.