Postgraduate Trainees are post-MD trainees who are pursuing further clinical or research training in their own specialty, but who have not yet completed sufficient training that would allow them to be listed (registered) as a specialist in their home country.
Click the tabs below to find more information on eligibility, application procedures, English language proficiency requirements, and more.
In response to the ongoing COVID-19 situation please refer to our FAQ page for the latest information impacting postgraduate trainees.
International Postgraduate Trainee appointments at UBC are available to:
- Post-MD trainees who are pursuing further clinical or research training in their own specialty, but who have not yet completed sufficient training that would allow them to be listed (registered) as a specialist in their home country.
- Candidates who have met the time requirements of training but who have not succeeded in the examination requirements of their specialty. This requirement will only be waived if the candidate is within a two-year period of examination eligibility.
Note: Training provided in this appointment will NOT be evaluated by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. This appointment will NOT be considered for positions as a paid physician assistant, nor postdoctoral research trainees, nor subspecialty residents.
The Application for Approval of Appointment of International Postgraduate Trainee (Elective) Form has been formulated so that the training of postgraduate trainees can be documented, and the information entered into the CAPER database and postgraduate templates.
- The Application for Approval of Appointment of International Postgraduate Trainee (Elective) Form must be completed and signed by the following individuals, in the following order:
- Postgraduate Trainee
- Division Head or Supervisor (Optional)
- Department Head
- Vice President, Medicine
- Once all signatures have been obtained, the Department is responsible for forwarding the application form, complete with aforementioned signatures, to the Postgraduate Medical Education Dean’s Office. The Postgraduate Dean signs the application indicating approval and the application form will be returned to the sponsoring Department Head. The Department is then responsible for obtaining licensure from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia.
- The applicant must pay a $100.00 non-refundable, non-transferable administrative fee. The administrative fee can be paid by UBC journal voucher or online. Please note that extensions under six months do not require the administration fee.
Administrative fees can be paid online or by UBC journal voucher.
Postgraduate Trainee Fee is $100.00
The College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia (CPSBC) requires all physicians who have completed their medical education outside of Canada and who are now seeking medical licensure in B.C. submit copies of certain documents to the Medical Council of Canada’s Physicians Apply for source verification.
Further information about CPSBC credentials verification requirements can be found here.
Any candidate for licensure in British Columbia must have the ability to speak, read, and write English to the satisfaction of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia’s Registration Committee.
Further information about CPSBC English Language Proficiency requirements can be found here.
Postgraduate Trainees are not registered as residents with the University and do not have to pay registration fees. However, they will be required to pay an annual licensing fee to the College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC.
Postgraduate Trainees are not under the umbrella of the Resident Doctors of BC. Salary arrangements are the responsibility of the sponsoring agency or specialty program.
Postgraduate Trainees are required to purchase personal medical malpractice liability insurance for their activities.
All immigration/work permit documentation is the responsibility of the sponsoring specialty program. Please see UBC’s Immigration Process for Foreign Clinical Fellows for further information.
Questions regarding the appointments of Postgraduate Trainees can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please allow two business days for a response.