The UBC Faculty of Medicine offers a wide range of postgraduate visiting elective opportunities.
Explore the page below for information on eligibility, application procedures, and required documentation.
October 26, 2021 Update:
Please be aware the Provincial Health Officer (PHO) in British Columbia has mandated that all hospital and health care employers establish, implement and ensure compliance with a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy. Effective October 26, 2021 all those undertaking visiting electives in any University of British Columbia postgraduate program must ensure they are able to comply with the PHO directive in order to start training at UBC.
July 6, 2021 Update:
Out of Province Electives at UBC have recommenced effective July 1, 2020 if there is willingness from the program to support out of province trainees. All trainees wishing to do electives from July 1 are advised to have back-up or alternate plans, should the elective need to be cancelled. All provincial self-isolation requirements will need to be fulfilled.
We are aware that many schools across Canada have restrictions for visiting electives in place due to COVID-19.
- University of Alberta: For more information please contact email@example.com
- University of Calgary: For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- University of Toronto: For more information please contact U of T at email@example.com.
- University of Ottawa: For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dalhousie University: Please contact email@example.com for more information.
- McMaster University: Please see latest here. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- McGill University: Please see latest here. For more information contact email@example.com
- Memorial University – Please see the latest here. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Queen’s University – Please see the latest here. For more information contact email@example.com
- University of Saskatchewan – For more information please see here or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Northern Ontario School of Medicine – For more information please see here or contact email@example.com
- University of Manitoba – For more information please see here or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Western University – For more information please see here or contact email@example.com
For all other schools across Canada, please refer to their website for more details.
Who is eligible?
Postgraduate Resident Elective applications are limited to:
- Canadian citizens, Permanent Residents and Work Permit holders who are legally entitled to live and work in British Columbia and currently enrolled in a recognized Family Practice or Specialty (Royal College) training program in Canada, OR
- Canadian citizens currently enrolled in a recognized Family Practice or Specialty training program in the USA.
Note: Citizens of other countries enrolled in a recognized Family Practice or Specialty training program in Canada, and who wish to complete an elective in the province of British Columbia, must obtain a work permit (Visa) from Canada Immigration. The work permit is the responsibility of the trainee, not the Postgraduate Medical Education Dean’s Office.
Who is not eligible?
- Any individual NOT currently enrolled in a recognized residency training program.
- Postgraduate Fellows
- European medical students completing their fifth year.
It is the responsibility of applicants to arrange their own postgraduate resident electives. Applicants should contact the specific UBC training program for further information.
Once an applicant has arranged an elective, they are required to email their completed application form, supporting documents, and a copy of the administrative fee receipt to the Postgraduate Medical Education (PGME) Dean’s Office a minimum of eight weeks in advance of their elective start date. Failure to meet this deadline will result to returned application.
Once a completed application has been submitted and the administrative fee has been paid, the PGME Dean’s Office will email an elective confirmation letter to the applicant.
A copy of the elective confirmation letter will also be forwarded by the PGME Dean’s Office to the College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC (CPSBC). The CPSBC will then contact applicants directly with instructions regarding the application for temporary registration. All confirmed elective residents must register with the CPSBC prior to commencing their elective.
Note: Applications will not be processed until all of the required documents and the administrative fee have been received by the Postgraduate Medical Education Dean’s Office.
- Completed UBC Application for Postgraduate Resident Elective.
- Confirmation letter from the home program director indicating approval of the elective. The confirmation letter must include the dates of the elective and the program’s contact information.
- Confirmation letter from the preceptor indicating agreement that he or she will be the applicant’s supervisor during the elective. The confirmation letter must include the dates of the elective, the site(s) where the elective will take place, and the preceptor’s contact information.
- COVID-19 vaccine status confirmation showing 1st and 2nd dose completion (i.e. a copy of vaccine card, certificate or passport)
- Have Canadian Citizenship, be a permanent resident or be legally able to live and work in British Columbia. For work permit holders, provide Work permit copy with eligibility to live and work in British Columbia.
- PGME may assist out-of-province sponsored residents to apply work permit with UBC/British Columbia as training location by submitting an offer of employment to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada or IRCC and pay $230 compliance fee on behalf of the sponsored resident’s home institution. The $230 compliance fee should be paid by the home institution prior to UBC submitting the offer of employment to IRCC. When approved by IRCC, UBC provides an offer of employment number to applicants for inputting into the work permit applications. The work permit application should be submitted under the LMIA-exempt category. If applicable, submit a scan of the passport photo page and the compliance fee payment receipts to PGME to initiate the process.
Click the IRCC links for information on how to apply for a work permit.
$100.00 non-refundable, non-transferable administrative fee is required to process the application.
$230 non-refundable, non-transferable IRCC – Employer’s Compliance Fee (applicable to out-of-province sponsored residents).
The above fees can be paid online. Please submit a copy of your receipt(s) with your application package.
** PLEASE NOTE ** – Effective July 1, 2019 the $100.00 administrative fee will be payable by term (i.e Term 1: Block 1 – 6, Term 2: Block 7 – 13). Therefore the fee will be $100.00 per term irrespective of the number of elective requests in each term.
Applications need to be submitted – in MS Word or PDF format only – to the Postgraduate Medical Education Dean’s Office by email. The subject heading of the email should contain the name of the applicant and all required supporting documents should be attached.
Note: Incomplete submissions or unpaid administrative fees will result in processing delays.
Questions regarding electives can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please allow two business days for a response.