New Resident Registration Guide


Welcome from the Associate Dean, Postgraduate Medical Education

On behalf of the Faculty of Medicine, welcome to postgraduate training at the University of British Columbia!

You are part of a community that includes approximately 1400 postgraduate trainees (residents, fellows, international trainees). At UBC, we are committed to providing an environment of excellence in education, innovation and scholarship. Faculty members and program directors are tirelessly engaged in continuously looking at ways to make your training better. Our PGME office strives to support our trainees and programs in this process.

Read more

At UBC, clinical training is distributed across the province in a manner that supports community relationships and provides learning opportunities in multiple environments. UBC offers Family Medicine, together with over 70 specialty and subspecialty training programs recognized by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada and the College of Family Physicians of Canada.

You are entering your postgraduate training at a very exciting time. Many programs are adopting a competency based medical education approach. In this light, as you engage in your training, I encourage you to provide your supervisors, program directors, and our PGME office with as much feedback as possible so that we can work together to improve your education, wellness, and experience.

Given the breadth and depth of postgraduate education at UBC, the following sections are intended to provide relevant, appropriate information to support our programs. If you have any questions or just want to stop by and say “Hi” please do not hesitate to contact me.

Associate Dean, Postgraduate Medical Education
Associate Professor, Department of Surgery
Faculty of Medicine | University of British Columbia

Checklist for Residents 'New' to a UBC Residency Program

Please pay close attention to all task deadlines. Missing a due date will not only cause undue stress, but will also hinder a smooth transition into residency. Click any of the blue arrows to complete its respective task.
Tasks to complete by Program start date:Due date:
If you have not previously attended UBC, create your Campus Wide Login (CWL) upon receiving your MRES (student) number.late April
Activate your UBC Email Address.late April
PGME RMS Registration opensApril 26
Submit your Social Insurance Number (SIN) to Provincial Health Services Authority.TBC
Complete PGME Registration in the Resident Management System (RMS) by updating your contact information (UBC email address required) and signing your Letter of May 13
Complete and return Payroll, Health & Benefit Forms to Provincial Health Services Authority. Delays in returning these forms may result in delays to pay processing and benefit set-up.TBC
Report Immunizations to the Workplace Health Call Centre.TBC
Complete required Online Courses and Learning Modules.2 weeks prior to start date
When invited to do so, complete the application for registration and licensure with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC (the College).Completed as soon as possible
Acquire CMPA Coverage prior to the start of residency.Prior to start date
If travelling to BC from outside of Canada you must self-isolate for 14 days prior to your start date. Please notify PGME at if you need to self-isolate. This link has the most recent information.Prior to start date
Carefully review the following COVID-19 related documents:
COVID-19 Vaccine Memo
UBC PG Trainee COVID-19 package
UBC PG Trainee Self-Isolation Plan
BC Self-Isolation Plan
Prior to start date
Postgraduate Medicine Academic Year beginsJuly 1
Set up Direct Deposit through Student Service Center for reimbursement purposes.July 1
Pay UBC Registration Fee online through the Student Service Centre (SSC).July 7
Attend mandatory UBC PGME Orientation on Tuesday July 13 (1:00pm-2:30pm).July 13 PM

New Resident Orientation (July 13, 2021) - session materials

The following resources were also mentioned during this orientation and are included here for your reference

Frequently Asked Questions

This section will be continually updated with relevant information and answers to common questions.

Payroll – How do I get on payroll?

Learn more

Payroll and Benefits are administered by Provincial Health Services Authority who will contact residents new to UBC by email prior to registration requesting your Social Insurance Number (SIN)..

Returning your direct deposit authorization/tax forms in a timely manner will ensure that PHSA are able are to set up your direct deposit information in their system.

More detailed information can be found here.

Payroll – When will I be paid as a resident at UBC?

Learn more

UBC residents are paid once every two weeks. Please see the 2021 pay dates here.

Payroll – Who should I contact if I have a question relating to payroll?

Learn more

Please reach out to payroll at this email here.

Benefits – What benefits are available to residents at UBC?

Learn more

For more information on the benefits available to UBC residents please refer to the Benefits page on the Resident Doctors of BC website.

You may also review the Resident Collective Agreement for more information.

Insurance – Who should I contact if I have questions relating to some of the benefits that are available to residents i.e life/disability insurance for example?

Learn more

For more information about the benefits available to you please contact PHSA.

You may also review the Group Benefits Plan for more information on the benefits available to you.

Further information is also available via the Resident Collective Agreement.

Resident Remuneration – Where should I go if I have questions with Resident Remuneration i.e payment for call etc?

Learn more

Resident remuneration is negotiated through the Resident Doctors of BC via The Health Employers Association of BC (HEABC). For questions on resident remuneration please contact Resident Doctors of BC.

Alternatively you can find more detailed information here.

CPSBC Licensing – How will cancellation of MCC part II examination affect Resident Clinical Associate (moonlighting) licences?

Learn more

Residents will be awarded the MCC based on successful completion of the MCC part I examination and on satisfactory completion of one year of postgraduate training. For eligibility for the Resident Clinical Associate license residents will need completion of 2 years of postgraduate training.

CPSBC Licensing – Some rotations may leave residents as the only provider in the hospital/ward, where the supervising physician or preceptor is available by phone. Is this allowed on a resident educational license? ?

Learn more

Yes, this situation is allowable on an educational license as preceptors are still able to supervise if available remotely.

Prescription Pads – Is there an issue putting your personal phone number on the prescription, with patients copying it down?

Learn more

Residents are not expected to share personal information. Consider sharing a number for a ward or clinical location where pharmacy can contact you if necessary.

Prescription Pads – Will prescription pads be sent to a private or business address?

Learn more

All Rx pads are sent directly to the business address the registrant adds to their online College profile (unless specifically instructed otherwise).

Prescription Pads – Does your preceptor need to cosign all prescriptions?

Learn more

No preceptors do not need to co-sign on prescriptions.

Prescription Pads – What is the turnaround time for prescription pads?

Learn more

It is estimated that they should take about 2-weeks.

Health Monitoring – What is the threshold for reporting mental health to the College? For example, if you have depression but are taking regular medication, feel well generally, and your mental health does not impact patient care, is this reportable?

Learn more

As a resident if you’ve got a condition and you’re on a medication (it doesn’t necessarily need to be for a mental health issue) and you are functioning to an extent that this does not impact patient care then you need not inform CPSBC. If in doubt of these thresholds and how they impact you, contact with CPSBC is recommended.

Physician Health Program (PHP) – Can PHP refer residents directly to specialists, or do residents have to wait to be assigned a family physician?

Learn more

Each case is assessed on its merits, if a specialist referral is most appropriate then this will be offered to residents. For more information on PHP please see here.

Physician Health Program (PHP) – Does PHP offer a limited number of counselling sessions to residents?

Learn more

There is no maximum number of sessions. Each resident is offered up to 6 sessions to begin with, with extensions possible to this which are based on need. There is no upper limit. For more information on PHP please see here.

Physician Health Program (PHP) – Does PHP report interactions with residents to CPSBC?

Learn more

PHP do not typically report interactions with CPSBC. They are physician advocates and would only report if legally required to. For more information on PHP please see here.

Resident Wellness Office (RWO) – Is there a limit to the number of counselling sessions available to residents?

Learn more

There is currently a limit of 10 counselling sessions per academic year available for each resident. This is in place to ensure that waitlists can be better managed, and that there is more equitability in terms of access to services for all residents. For more information on the RWO please see here.

Counselling Support Services – In addition to the Physician Health Program (PHP) and the Resident Wellness Office (RWO), what other counselling support services are available to residents?

Learn more

In addition to PHP and RWO you may also seek support via your health authority Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) or Employee Wellness program.

Mistreatment reporting – How should residents respond to situations where they feel that they are being mistreated or being discriminated against?

Learn more

There are several options available to residents. Firstly residents can consider reporting mistreatment via the Learner Mistreatment website, where reporting can be anonymous. Secondly residents may report issues confidentially to PGME. Additionally annual learning environment surveys are sent to all UBC residents, where data is collected any analyzed, program reviews are undertaken. PGME has a review committee which is tasked to review all this information on an ongoing basis, and to find solutions and remediation where problems are reported.

For more information please see the website for the Respectful Environments, Equity, Diversity & Inclusion (REDI) office

UBC Requirements and Important Information

UBC Registration fee

New residents will be contacted directly by UBC Enrolment Services with instructions for payment. UBC registration fees can be paid through the UBC Student Service Centre and the 2021-2022 fees are due by July 7, 2021.

Medical residents are required to be registered with the University of British Columbia for the duration of their training. The fee is set by the University Board of Governors and is a “registration” fee as opposed to a “tuition” fee. The fee for the 2021-2022 academic year is $455.76.

UBC Email Address

Residents new to UBC must create a UBC-issued email address. Learn more.

Resident Management System (RMS)

RMS manages academic and administrative records for all UBC residents. Learn more.
All new and returning residents are required to complete PGME Registration. Learn more.

Resident Wellness

The Resident Wellness Office supports residents throughout their time at UBC. Learn more.

UBC Library Card

The UBCcard acts as a library card. Residents who have completed the registration process and have obtained their UBC MRES (student) number can contact the UBCcard Office .

2021-22 Academic Year Rotation Schedule 

See full schedule

BlockStart DateEnd DateStat Holidays
1Thursday, July 1, 2021Monday, August 2, 2021Thursday, July 1 (Canada Day)
Monday, August 2 (BC Day)
2Tuesday, August, 3 2021Sunday, August 29, 2021
3Monday, August 24, 2021Sunday, September 26, 20212020Monday, September 6 (Labour Day)
4Monday, September 27, 2021Sunday, October 24, 2021Monday, October 11 (Thanksgiving)
5Monday, October 25, 2021Sunday, November 21, 2021Thursday, November 11 (Remembrance Day)
6Monday, November 22, 2021Sunday, December 19. 2021
7Monday, December 20, 2021Sunday, January 16, 2022December 25 (Christmas - observed on December 27)
December 26 (Boxing Day - observed on December 28)
January 1 (New Year's Day - observed on January 3)
8Monday, January 17, 2022Sunday, February 13, 2022
9Monday, February 14, 2022Sunday, March 13, 2022Monday, February 21 (Family Day)
10Monday, March 14, 2022Sunday, April 10, 2022
11Monday, April 11, 2022Sunday, May 8, 2022Friday, April 15 (Good Friday)
Monday, April 18 (Easter Monday)
12Monday, May 9, 2022Sunday, June 5, 2022Monday, May 23 (Victoria Day)
13Monday, June 6, 2022Thursday, June 30, 2022

Payroll, Health & Benefits Forms

New residents can find out about Payroll and Benefits, MSP Enrolment, accessing their T2202A, and more at the Payroll, Health & Benefit Forms section of the PGME website.

Educational Licensing

All residents must obtain an educational license from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC (“the College”) prior to the commencement of training. Until you have received confirmation from the College via email that your license has been issued, you will not be permitted to start your residency program.

The College will contact all residents directly via email regarding the application process. If you have not received any correspondence from the College by May 10, 2021, check your spam/junk mail folders before you contact them via email at

IMPORTANT: please be sure to complete your entire application process (i.e complete the online application form, make payment of your fees and submit supplementary documentation, if required) by the deadlines stated in the email from the College. This will ensure that you are licensed for July 1, 2021 in a timely manner.

Occupational Health & Safety

New residents can find out about immunizations, health and safety procedures, and more at the Occupational Health & Safety  section of the PGME website.

COVID-19 Vaccination: BC Health Authorities will be providing information and processes specifically for incoming residents to self-report their COVID-19 vaccine status. This information will be coming from the Health Authorities soon, and this page will be updated immediately upon receiving this information.

Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA)

CMPA Update (Apr. 23, 2020): The Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA) have recently eliminated the option of educational institutions paying CMPA expenses on the residents’ behalf. Effective July 1, 2020 all UBC residents will be reimbursed CMPA expenses via their pay on a monthly recurring basis . This will show as a separate line item on your paystub. This is considered a business expense and is therefore not taxable. As per the below CMPA remains a mandatory requirement for all residents. Each resident should arrange and maintain their own CMPA coverage (see details below) .

Liability protection for residents registered at the UBC Faculty of Medicine is an important matter. All residents must be aware that they require liability protection when they begin their training program and throughout their program.

It is important that residents understand that malpractice protection is mandatory and a condition of their license with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia. All residents must be appropriately protected for any medico-legal issues that may arise during their training. Without liability protection, the UBC residents are in breach of their educational license with the College.

In the event that residents submit late requests for CMPA membership, such as weeks after the residents have commenced their program, this means that they effectively have been without liability protection for that period of time. This exposes the residents to significant risk.

As per Article 18.02 in the Resident Collective Agreement between HEABC and RDBC all Residents will be required to maintain CMPA coverage.  Therefore, all residents are responsible for securing CMPA coverage prior to the start of residency.

For more information on how to apply for CMPA membership please see here.

Please also review the CMPA Frequently Asked Questions document as produced by the Ministry of Health which you can find here.

Online Courses and Learning Modules

New residents can find more information about the online modules they need to complete for their health authority at the Online Training Requirements section of the PGME website.

Useful information

Facebook group – Incoming R1s 2021 – UBC

Learn more

UBC residents have created the following Facebook page which is intended as a helpful resource for all incoming Residents. Participation in this group is voluntary. This group is moderated independently by existing UBC residents, it is not a PGME resource.

Address and Name Changes

Learn more

Residents are responsible for updating their contact information in the Resident Management System (RMS), as well as contacting the following professional institutions:

For name changes, please contact the PGME Dean’s Office and indicate in the subject ‘Name Change’. Please attach supporting documentation that applies to your situation.


Learn more

All residents are encouraged to have taken, or succeed as soon as possible, in the MCCQE-I examination. All residents are encouraged to take the MCCQE-II  either at the end of their first clinical year, or during their second clinical year rather than wait until later in their residency. It is necessary to have the MCCQE-II to obtain a full license in the province of British Columbia. For more information, visit the Medical Council of Canada website.

Collective Bargaining Agreement

Learn more

The Resident Doctors of BC Collective Agreement provide a committment between the HEABC and the Resident Doctors of BC to provide a safe and secure work environment for you and your patients.