- Dial-a-Law service: In the Lower Mainland call 604.687.4680. Elsewhere in BC call 1.800.565.5297. Dial-a-Law will provide general legal advice over a wide variety of topics and they also offer a referral service. https://dialalaw.peopleslawschool.ca/
- Canadian BAR Association: Lawyer Referral Service. In the Lower Mainland call 604.687.3221. Elsewhere in BC call 1.800.663.1919. Referral services will match you with a lawyer who will offer a free 30 min consultation. https://www.cbabc.org/For-the-Public/Lawyer-Referral-Service
Low Cost or Free Legal Advice
- Legal Aid – http://www.lss.bc.ca/legal_aid/legalAdvice.php
- Law Student’s Legal Advisory Service – http://www.lslap.bc.ca/ Most lawyers will offer a free initial consultation so it is recommended to speak with friends/family to get recommendations and call the office to see if they would provide a free consultation. This group does not provide family law advice or representation.
- List from the Canadian Bar Association outlining options for low cost/free legal advice https://www.cbabc.org/For-the-Public/Dial-A-Law/Scripts/Lawyers-Legal-Services-and-Courts/430
For Resident Doctors
- Legal Service Through resident respective EFAP (through their Health Authority) MAY have legal representation as residents are employees. Typically Law Assist is the company which EFAPs contract for one-off legal advice. This is a great place to start as it’s provided at no cost for a consult or two.
- Generally speaking, eligible clients have access to one free legal consultation per year in the area of law requested. Advice is provided by a lawyer. A session may run 30 to 60 minutes in length over the phone or in-person. Clients may retain the lawyer they speak to if needed at a discounted rate. This service does not provide consultation in the areas of labour or employment law due to possible conflict of interest.