All UBC residents are required to activate and use a UBC-issued email address when corresponding with the UBC Postgraduate Medical Education (PGME) Dean’s Office and PGME programs.
Please ensure that your UBC email address is listed on the Resident Management System (RMS).
See below for FAQs on this compulsory requirement and step-by-step instruction on how to create a UBC email address.
B.C. health authorities require all residents use a UBC-issued email address to access electronic health record systems used in clinical settings across the province.
Failure to comply in activating a UBC email address and updating your email contact information in the RMS will result in delayed access to health authority electronic systems, which will ultimately impact your ability to begin a rotation on your scheduled start date.
It’s easy to create a UBC email address and will only take a few minutes of your time. Follow the step-by-step instructions below.
UBC Email Sign Up Instructions
- Visit Campus-Wide Login (CWL) myAccount)
- Enter your login name and password (this is the same login name and password that enables you to access the Resident Management System).
- Once you have logged in with your CWL, click on “Activate Student Email.”
- The format of your email address will be [cwl]@student.ubc.ca.
- Enter a forwarding email address (note: a verification email will be sent to this address).
- Click “Submit.”
- Once you have read the terms of agreement, confirm the email setup by clicking “I Accept.”
- A verification email will be sent to your forwarding email address. You must click on the link in the verification email within 24 hours to enable this email service.
- Once you have created a UBC email address, update your email contact information in the Resident Management System.
Once you have created a UBC email address, you can access the mailbox using any popular web browser and clicking on this link: https://webmail.student.ubc.ca/. You can also use ActiveSync to access your email with your mobile device.
Over the course of your time as a resident at UBC, all correspondence from the UBC PGME Dean’s Office will be sent electronically. It is imperative you check your email regularly for instructions and updates in preparation for the upcoming academic year, and over the duration of your training.
Yes. You may want to consider setting up a forwarding address so that any UBC email messages are automatically forwarded to a personal account you frequently check.
When you sign up for a UBC email address, you will be given the option to include a forwarding address. You can modify your forwarding address at any time by changing your Mail Options under Organize E-Mail.
A useful article with information on forwarding your UBC emails can be found here.